Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bat Encounter


















Yesterday, Brya, Thea and I went to a very cool Bat program. Nolan did not want to go but he would have liked it. The program was not creepy at all and I had no idea that bats were so interesting (somehow I don't think I would feel the same way about a "snake" program). The professional was Rob Mies from the Organization for Bat Conservation (http://www.batconservation.org/) and he did a great job keeping Brya's and my attention (Thea's....um...not so much...:-). We got to see 4 bats with each one getting bigger. I thought the neatest fact was that when a fruit eating bat (the bigger ones) each something like cantaloupe, the bat will chew, chew and chew and then will spit out the pulp and just drink the juice. We saw a couple of them do this. Sorry about the poor picture quality...my camera does terrible in this kind of situation and those bats are quick!

No comments: